EK II 1870, 25 Year Jubilee Clasp

EK II 1870, 25 Year Jubilee Clasp

Commemorative clasp to the 1870 Iron Cross 2nd class. The clasp had a shape of three vertical oak leaves with the number “25” superimposed on the middle one. The badge measured 26 x 18 mm approximately and was made of German silver or silver. It was attached either to a ribbon close to the suspension ring by prongs or to the suspension ring.

Categories: , Tags: ,

Description

Commemorative clasp to the 1870 Iron Cross 2nd class was instituted by the King of Prussia Wilhelm II on August 18, 1895 in conjunction with the 25th jubilee of the Prussian victory in the Franco-Prussian War. Initially the clasp had to be worn by all the holders of Iron Cross who participated in the Silver Jubilee and Grand Parade held in the Tempelhofer Feld in Berlin on August 26, 1895. Later on clasp was available for private purchase by all surviving holders of the 1870 Iron Cross 2nd class.

The clasp had a shape of three vertical oak leaves with the number “25” superimposed on the middle one. The badge measured 26×18 mm approximately and was made of German silver or silver. It was attached either to a ribbon close to the suspension ring by prongs or to the suspension ring. Regulations stipulated that clasp should have been worn as close as possible to the Iron Cross. A variant of Silver Oak Leaves Clasp for wearing in the tunic buttonhole was manufactured as well.